Important Notice for Accommodation Operators Regarding Accommodations Licensing
The province is in the process of modernizing the legislation governing accommodation operations in Nova Scotia. Read More
Federal Support Announced
Prime Minister Trudeau commits $1Billion in response to COVID-19; waves one-week waiting period for EI. Read More
TIANS: COVID-19 - What You Can Do
The latest update on Coronavirus impact. News, Links and Resources for Industry. Visit TourismStrong.ca for more.
Policy Update: Seasonal Tourist Business Designation
A pilot is currently being pursued around the Seasonal Tourist Business Designation. The initiative is designed to allow for businesses to extend their opening, without penalty or a change to their taxation status. As the industry looks to extend their current seasons to partially recoup impacts from COVID-19, this will be an important element of planning for operations.
Policy Update: Short-Term Rentals
While the focus has been on the current health crisis, additional policy from the provincial government was recently announced as an Order in Council confirming tax rates will be maintained at the current threshold; short term rentals over 4 rooms will be taxed as commercial. This is an important win for Industry as we heard from many small operators concerned over the impact of the potential change to this regulation.
TIANS Member Bulletin
As Nova Scotia enters into the eighth week of the COVID-19 pandemic, TIANS continues to advocate for specific and robust supports for the tourism sector. Read the latest member update.
Think Nova Scotia First | Tourism Awareness Week
Halifax, N.S. (May 21, 2020) – Sunday, May 24th marks the beginning of National Tourism Awareness Week (TAW) in Canada. TAW is a grassroots initiative focused on sharing information around the important role the tourism sector plays in the Canadian economy and the need for strong public policy supporting the sector. Read the press release.
Tourism Awareness Week | May 24-31
The tourism industry is an anchor for Canada's economy. During #TourismAwarenessWeek TIANS highlights the incredible resilience of the sector - our business operators focused on adapting and adjusting to reopen and safely operate for visitors. #NSTourismMatters. Visit TourismStrong.ca/Rebuilding/TAW to learn more.
TIANS Member Bulletin | May 29
As Nova Scotia announces the reopening of the economy on June 5th, and we wrap up Tourism Awareness Week, TIANS continues to advocate for specific and robust supports for the tourism sector. Read the latest member update.
Reopening Nova Scotia
TIANS Member Bulletin | June 5
Reopening Guidelines, obtaining PPE, upcoming webinars, and recovery plans to help your business reopen safely. Read the recent TIANS member bulletin.
Peggy's Point Lighthouse Partnership - Government and Industry Working Together for Tourism
The Tourism Industry Association of Nova Scotia is pleased to be working in partnership with the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades.
Atlantic Canada Matches 3 Target Groups with tourism Products and Experiences
ACTP commissioned Environics Analytics to help them identify efficient and cost-effective ways to reach their target market
Global Tourism Watch - UK Summary Report 2010
Driven by the launch of a new global brand and ongoing challenges in Canada's priority markets. the Canadian Tourism Commission initiated.
New Stats Show Growth in Most Markets - Stats Canada
Statistics Canada has released international travel numbers for December, as well as the preliminary numbers for the full twelve months.
2006 - 2010 Tourism News
- UPDATE: TIANS Recognizes Excellence
- Nova Scotia Tourism Summit Attracts over 500 Delegates
- Chronicle Herald Article
- Update: TIANS Response to September Tourism Stats
- TIANS Applauds Decision to Support Convention Centre - October 13th, 2010
- A Lasting Investment for Nova Scotia's Economy - March 20th - The Chronicle Herald
- World's Best Airport - Good for Tourism - February 17th, 2010
- TIANS Requests Tourism Minister seek Solution for 2010 Ferry Service - January 13th, 2010
- The Numbers Do Matter - The Chronicle Herald - January 11th, 2010
- HALIFAX-BOSTON FERRY COULD BECOME REALITY - The Chronicle Herald - January 6th, 2010
- TOURISM JEOPARDIZED BY FERRY CANCELLATION - December 18, 2009
- TIANS APPLAUDS SHIP HARBOUR LONG LAKE WILDERNESS AREA DESIGNATION - September 24, 2009
- DSWN RESPONSE TO BAY FERRIES - December 18, 2009
- BLUE MOUNTAIN-BIRCH COVE LAKES WILDERNESS AREA AND SUROUNDING DEVELOPMENT - December 15, 2009
- WORLD TOURISM DAY - CELEBRATING DIVERSITY - September 23, 2009
- McCARTNEY TICKETS WON'T GO FOR HALF PRICE - July 7, 2009 - The Chronicle Herald
- RAIN RAIN GO AWAY - July 7, 2009 - The Chronicle Herald
- TIANS APPLAUDS COMMITMENT FOR A NEW CONVENTION CENTRE - May 4, 2009
- TIANS Applauds Canada-European Union Air Transport Agreement - December 11, 2008
- TIANS Calls for Protection of the Chignecto Game Sanctuary - November 26, 2008
- 2008 proves a record year for cruises: Port - October 3rd, 2008
- Nova Scotia’s Communities in Bloom receive top Honours at Awards Ceremony - September 23, 2008
- New Training Partnership Announced between Tourism and Acadian Associations - November 12, 2008
- Ferry Announcement Appauded But Not Good Enough for Tourism - August 5,2008- Tourism Chair ‘hopeful,’ but Wary for Tourism Season - June 25th, 2008
- Tourism Week - Tourism is Everybody's Business - June 3rd, 2008
- Certified to Impress Tourist - June 2, 2008
- TIANS Elects New Board of Directors - May 28, 2008
- TIANS Supports Repeal - May 2, 2008
- Park Your Worries Here - April 1, 2008
- Parks Canada Strike Would Devastate Tourism Industry - March 31, 2008
- Gas Pains May Cramp NS Tourism - March 13, 2008
- Helping Nova Scotia Prove It's Worth - January 2008 (1.6MB)
- Nova Scotia Business Journal Tourism Review - January 2008 (1.3MB)
- TIANS Recognizes Excellence in Tourism! - December 3, 2008
- High Oil Prices Squeezing the Tourism Industry
- January Tourism Stats Available
- TIAC Commends Federal Budget Initiatives
- Halifax Airport Soars into Record Book
- Promoting Nova Scotia to Travel Writers
- Support for Yarmouth Tourism Plan
- December Tourism Stats Available
- November Tourism Stats Available
- Tourism Workshop Helps Industry - April 25, 2007
- Tourism Marketing Focuses Online - April 24, 2007
- GST Visitor Rebate Program - Media Releases
- Regan Vows To Push Govt To Reinstate GST Rebate
- Tourism Industry Reveal True Costs of Cancelling VRP
- GST Visitor Rebate Program for Individual Travellers - An Economic Impact Analysis
- TIAC – National Awards for Tourism Excellence Winners
- NSTC&H – Sunday Shopping
- NSTC&H – Tourism Marketing
- TIAC - Federal program cuts a slap in the face to Canadian tourism
- NSTC&H – July Tourism Stats
- Critics Search for Truth in Tourism: Chronicle Herald
- NSTC&H - Accommodations Act
- Tourist Accommodations Act